Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups (375 ml) Spanish onions, coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup (180 ml) celery, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup (125 ml) all-purpose flour
- 8 cups (2 L) chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 ml) potatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 ¾ (680 ml) cups sliced mushrooms
- A pinch of pepper
- 2 cups (500 ml) of 2% milk
Brown onions in ½ tablespoon of vegetable oil until translucent. Add celery and 2 cups of mushrooms and cook. Add flour and mix well. Add chicken broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are soft. Liquefy in the blender while incorporating the milk. Serve.
In a separate pan, cook the remaining mushrooms in the remaining oil. Add them to the soup and simmer 5 minutes. Add the pepper and serve.
YIELD: approximately 8 x 250 ml servings